Monday, October 27, 2008

Recipe Of the Day 10/27

I first had this in Upstate New York back in August when we took the kids up there for a week to visit Timm's family. Apparently it is a "thing" up there, and I have never heard of it anywheres else. It was so good I can home and looked up this version. It is very rich, but oh so tasty!

Chicken Riggies

Ingredients:

4 tbls olive oil
1/4 cup butter
5 cloves garlic
10 tbls minced shallot (I just used one whole shallot)
2lbs skinless, boneless chicken breast meat, cubed
1 (40z) jar sweet red peppers, drained and julienned (I just cut it into smaller pieces, I ain't no darn chef!! LOL)
1/2 cup tomato sauce (it calls for "fresh", but whole the hell has fresh tomato sauce lying around, just use the canned variety)
1/4 cup dry sherry (I hate sherry, I am not going to buy an expensive bottle of liquor if I ain't gonna drink the rest. I just used a cheap white wine).
1 pint heavy cream (yes it does need to be heavy cream, forget the diet and live a little!! LOL)
1 8oz package rigatoni pasta (cooked according to package directions)

Directions:

In a large saucepan, heat oil and melt butter over medium heat (the oil prevents the butter from burning when cooked at high temperatures , thanks Food Network! :-) ). Add garlic and shallot and saute until soft, then add chicken, season with salt and pepper to taste and saute for 8-10 minutes, or until HALFWAY cooked. Add peppers and stir in tomato sauce, reduce heat to low and simmer about 10 minutes. Add sherry (or white wine) and simmer for another 10 minutes, then stir in cream and simmer for 10 minutes more. Finally toss in hot, cooked pasta.

I like to serve it with some shredded Parmesan cheese on top.

No comments: